Sour Cream-Lemon Pie Recipe
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 3 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1. Preheat oven to 450°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge.
- 2. Line unpricked pastry with a double thickness of foil. Fill with pie weights, dried beans or uncooked rice. Bake 8 minutes or until bottom is lightly browned. Remove foil and weights; bake 5-7 minutes longer or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- 3. In a large heavy saucepan, mix sugar and cornstarch. Whisk in milk and lemon juice until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat.
- 4. In a small bowl, whisk a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in butter and lemon peel. Cool without stirring.
- 5. Stir in sour cream. Add filling to crust. Top with whipped cream. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece: 437 calories, 26g fat (15g saturated fat), 145mg cholesterol, 197mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 0g fiber), 4g protein .
Reviews for Sour Cream-Lemon Pie
"Love love love this recipe."
"For the second time I've made this pie, both times with rave reviews. The only change I made is adding a little lemon juice to the whipped cream.Next time I will add the sour cream before it's completely cool, so it will be more incorporated. Even done as written its amazing, and not overly hard"
"This is my favorite pie to make!!! It is so good and easy to make. I like mine with a normal pie cuts instead of gram cracker. And for all the people who say get a premade crust and use an instant pudding it's not the same!"
"Very good! I used graham cracker crust because I like that!"
"I used a ready made Graham cracker crust instead. I added a half of cup of evaporated milk to the regular milk. Great pie. ."
"We loved this pie. It was creamy with just the right mixture of sweet and tart. I made two changes. I substituted 1/2 cup of maple syrup instead of the sugar, and I added a tsp of cream of tarter to the whipped cream since I wanted it to hold its shape for a couple of days."
"Hubby called this pie a "home run" and that was without whipped cream on top. No need for extra calories/fat. Excellent flavor and so easy to make."
"I made this pie last night and came out so so i would actually cut back on the amount of lemon juice and not use the lemon zest... it was just to lemonie for my taste buds ... maybe in addition to the sour cream thrown in a tub of cool whip"
"We found another version of this in a little local grocery store in Lincoln City, OR and I had to search for the recipe so I could make it once I got home. I found this one and knew it would be good, and it didn't disapoint us. This is the best pie EVER!! I have already made one with a homemade cookie crumb crust and it was awesome. I am making it with Trader Joe's pie crust tonight and my husband is already drooling. Make this....it's worth it!!"
"My husband and I LOVED this. It set up beautifully. Thanks Martha.....thank you SO much."
"This is the best lemon pie I have ever made and I will make again. Thank you for all your great recipes, there are so many and so little time! Jan of Honolulu"
"First place, in a pie contest. great!!!! Made again and left out all the lemon peel and juice. Add two teaspoons of vanilla. Called it sour cream vanilla pie .Great"
"this is very good my family want me to make this soon"
"This was the best lemon pie I have ever made. I made it for Thanksgiving and my family has not stopped talking about it. It will become a definate family favorite!"
"I loved it, hubby said "too tart" as he was eating his second piece! lol :)"
"I made this pie for Thanksgiving this year. It was absolutely yummy....so lemony! Everyone enjoyed it. I will make it again and again!"
"Recipe sounds excellent. I am adding it to my Thanksgiving list! It will be made according to recipe and the suggestion on making a pie with instant lemon pudding and can of whipped cream absolutely gives me goosebumps. Sounds totally gross!"
"I also agree, this is a delicious pie recipe and I wouldn't eat instant lemon pudding on a double dog dare, ugh. And it's not all that hard to mix graham cracker crumbs, sugar and butter to make a crust, and it's a whole lot cheaper than buying one premade."
"This pie is absolutely delicious. I have made it many times for family and friends and everyone loved it. A little more work, but well worth it."
"I agree, kathidahl! This is a delicious lemon pie recipe and is a definite keeper. Recipes that use "real foods" aren't in the same league as those that use "boxed chemicals" for taste . . . not to mention health. Thanks for a great recipe Martha!!"
">uwasv_waya Why would you even be on a recipe site? Instant lemon pudding? Come on..."
"I love this recipe. I always look forward to making it again. It is delicious."
"you could also substitue a regular or chocolate graham cracker crust for a different twist.1-1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs3 tablespoons sugar1/3 cup stick margarine, meltedIn a bowl, combine cracker crumbs and 3 tablespoons sugar. Stir in margarine. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of an ungreased 9-in. pie plate. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Then follow recipe for filling."
"In a bowl, combine cracker crumbs and 3 tablespoons sugar. Stir in margarine. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of an ungreased 9-in. pie plate. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Then follow recipe for filling."
"you could also substitue a regular or chocolate graham cracker crust for a different twist."
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.