Sour Cream Lemon Bread Recipe
My family always requests this light, tender bread with a hint of lemon. This loaf is so scrumptious that it complements almost any meal. I serve slices with a creamy lemon spread for an early-morning treat or late-night snack that's simply dreamy. -Barbara Strickler, Syracuse, Indiana
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 to 3 tablespoons warm milk (70° to 80°)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- LEMON SPREAD:
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon peel
- In a measuring cup, combine sour cream and lemon juice. Add enough milk to measure 1/2 cup. In a bread machine pan, place the sour cream mixture, butter, egg, lemon peel, sugar, salt, baking soda, flour and yeast in order suggested by manufacturer. Select sweet bread setting. Choose crust color and loaf size if available. Bake according to bread machine directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
- In a small bowl, combine the spread ingredients; beat until smooth. Serve with the bread. Yield: 1 loaf (1 pound) and about 1/2 cup spread.
Originally published as Sour Cream Lemon Bread in Quick Cooking September/October 2000, p27
Reviews for Sour Cream Lemon Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jul. 28, 2010
"This was an easy recipe. However, the lemon taste in the bread was almost not noticeable. The lemon spread made the whole thing work."