MY MOTHER is an excellent baker, and this is her recipe. Whether Mom makes these cookies or I do, they always disappear quickly. Friends rave about them and often ask me to bring them to get-togethers. My young children enjoy all kinds of cookies, but these are their favorites. -Tracy Betzler, Reston, Virginia
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 teaspoons hot water
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, sour cream and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Chill for at least 1 hour.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 425° for 7-8 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For frosting, melt butter in a saucepan until golden brown; stir in confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough water to achieve a spreading consistency. Frost cooled cookies. Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Sour Cream Drops in Reminisce January/February 1996, p47
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Sour Cream Drops
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review