- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) vanilla frosting
- Gel food coloring of your choice
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, sour cream and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with floured cookie cutters. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Tint some of the frosting with food coloring; decorate cookies as desired. Yield: about 6-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Sour Cream Cutouts
"Too sweet - almost sickening sweet... gave them to the birds and squirrels! I will stick to my recipe!!!"
"We make this recipe every year. If we make no other cookie, we make this one. I make the dough a day ahead of time and put it in the refrigerator, as it's a very wet dough. My husband and 9 year old roll out the dough and cut out shapes. I bake them, and we spend hours (I make several batches) decorating them. Our family and friends love them! And the best thing is, they stay moist and delicious for well over a week, so they can be made ahead of time."
"I made these last Christmas. I loved the slightly flaky texture and buttery flavor. The dough was pretty easy to work with too."
"makes a good cookie. a great idea to use leftover sour cream"
"Thanks, I couldn't view it either."