Sour Cream Chocolate Cupcakes Recipe
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1. In a microwave, melt butter and chocolate; stir until smooth. Cool for 10 minutes. In a large bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, water, sour cream and vanilla. Combine flour and baking soda; add to the egg mixture and mix well. Add chocolate mixture; beat on high speed for 2-3 minutes.
- 2. Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. For frosting, in a large microwave-safe bowl, melt butter and chocolate; stir until smooth. Cool for 10 minutes. With a portable mixer, beat in the confectioners' sugar, sour cream and vanilla on low until smooth. Frost cupcakes. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 each: 275 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 123mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Reviews for Sour Cream Chocolate Cupcakes
"The cupcakes were amazing, I absolutely recommend!! Followed the recipe exactly, and they came out perfect!! I wouldn't change a singke thing. Sooo good!!!"
"I loved this recipe! The cupcakes we so moist and yummy! The only change I made was halfing the frosting and it came out that I had just enough and definitly not too much. I made them for my parents BBQ as an alternative to white cake and those that tried them loved them!"
"The cupcakes and frosting were Deelicious! After melting the butter and chocolate for the batter and frosting, each separately, I cooled it in the frig until it was quite thick - for about 25 minutes - but making sure it was still pliable/mixable. I didn't have any problems with runny batter or frosting. And the directions for the frosting say specifically to "beat in the confectioners' sugar , etc...", meaning to beat INTO the butter chocolate mixture. I had to read that lilne a few times myself! Oh well! I would recommend this cupcake, my family loved it. Yummy!!!"
"Recipe said it would make 18-20. I filled 24 and they overflowed. Look horrible! Feel like something is off."
"So moist and delicious! But why no salt in this recipe? And the frosting directions don't seem complete. Add the cooled chocolate mixture to the creamed sugar I assumed.Absolutely delicious cupcakes."
"Just didn't work for me...sunk horribly and just looked bad..."
"When I tasted the batter it seemed pretty dull and the actual cupcake also seemed a little flat but with the frosting it was very yummy and moist. I would definitely make these again"
"These cupcakes were awsome. I am a caterer and I served them to one of my customers and they were the bomb! They want more."
"The cupcakes (4 stars) were very moist and I would make them again, but the frosting was very bitter (1 star) and I will definitely substitute something else next time. Even my Mom who doesn't like things very sweet commented on the frosting. I ended up with way more frosting than I needed and ended up dumping half down the drain."
"They were too sweet for my taste."
"So moist and tender...shared with husband and 2 friends...they all said "Wow, what box mix is this?" I expained I got the recipe from Taste of Home and it was homemade not a box mix...all were impressed....I use a LOT of Taste of Home recipes...This is a really good one...."
"Good Cupcake- great for when you want chocolate- next time I will add some orange zest to recipe to give more complex flavor. The sour cream does make them a lovely moist cupcake."
"I would make them again but I would add some salt to the cupcakes. I wondered if it was accidently omited. The icing is delicious!"
"These were great, nice and moist. I made them with commercial sour cream but wonder if I could use regular whipping cream that has soured."
"these cupcakes are very moist everyone loved them. I have made them several times since the first posted"
"The frosting is very good."