Sour Cream Broccoli Soup Recipe
“This is one dish I make often to serve to guests with dinner. It's a great comfort soup on a cold day.” Broccoli lovers will appreciate the subtle seasonings that enhance the vegetable's flavor. Lorraine Ellingson - Strathmore, Alberta
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min. YIELD:5 servings
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed chicken broth, undiluted
- 3 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 bunch broccoli (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 5 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in butter until tender. Add the water, broth, carrots, mustard, cumin and nutmeg. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, peel broccoli stalks and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Coarsely chop florets. Add to onion mixture; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Cool slightly.
- 3. In a blender, cover and process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to the pan and heat through. Dollop each serving with sour cream. Yield: 5 servings.
1 cup equals 123 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 12 mg cholesterol, 478 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 8 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC