Sour Cream Bread with Herbs Recipe
My aunt gave me this recipe more than 20 years ago. It's a great bread to serve when entertaining. I also use slices to make sandwiches. —Sammy Daken, Kelliher, Minnesota
- 3 to 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounces) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon dill seed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons butter, divided
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, yeast, salt, celery seed, dill seed and onion. In a small saucepan, heat the sour cream, water and 3 tablespoons butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add egg; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 70 minutes.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; shape into a round loaf. Place in a greased 2-qt. round baking dish. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Melt remaining butter; brush over bread. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 1 loaf.
1 slice: 156 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 186mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Sour Cream Bread with Herbs
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC