Sour Cream Blueberry Coffee Cake Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (8 ounces) reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda. In another bowl, combine the egg, sour cream, applesauce, oil and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in blueberries. Pour into a 9-in. square baking pan coated with cooking spray.
- 2. For topping, in a bowl, combine the brown sugar, oats and cinnamon; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over the batter. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 12 servings.
1 piece: 242 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 201mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Reviews for Sour Cream Blueberry Coffee Cake
"I too doubled the recipe for a 9x13 pan and baked for an hour. I also added a small amount of milk to thin the batter a bit. When it came out of the oven I also a topped it with a can of vanilla frosting. I heated the frosting in the microwave for a minute and then poured it over the hot coffee cake. It makes it extra moist! My family devoured it!"
"I normally double the recipe and prepare a 13x9 dish to carry to social gatherings. The cake is always a hit. My family loves this moist cake. I do reduce the blueberries by 1/2 a cup (1 cup for double) and add a pinch of cinnamon to better suit our personal preferences."
"Replaced vanilla extract with lemon extract, added a splash of milk to the batter (was a little dry after stirring wet ingredients into dry mixture), and doubled the topping like another review recommended. It turned out better than last time! Definitely a new family favorite in our home."
"I've been using this recipe for a few years now. Made it for our local county fair last year and got second place! Very good recipe!"
"This has roughly half the calories and fat of the Blueberry Sour Cream Coffee Cake on this site (the one pictured as a bundt cake). While that recipe is fabulous, I wanted to try this recipe which makes a smaller, lower calorie cake. I made a few changes (used 1/3 cup whole wheat flour, the rest all-purpose flour; used nonfat yogurt for half the sour cream, and used regular sour cream). It was moist and flavorful, but next time I will increase the amount of topping because it wasn't noticeable enough."
"This is delicious. My husband is a picky eater and he loved this. I have already made it again."
"This is delicious !"