- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- Whipped cream, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar and butter; beat at low speed until crumbly. Stir in nuts. Press about 2-3/4 cups into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan.
- To the remaining crumb mixture, add the cinnamon, baking soda, salt, sour cream, vanilla and egg. Beat until thoroughly combined. Stir in apples. Spoon evenly over crust. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares. Garnish with whipped cream if desired. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Sour Cream Apple Squares
"This was moist and very tasty. I added 3 cups of apples."
"Made this exactly as written and we loved it! Moist and full of flavor"
"I also made this from a Pillsbury recipe inte 70's. It's very good with a scoop of vanilla icecream!"
"I too misplaced this recipe and am happy to recover it. We sometimes made it with a cream sauce."
"This recipe was really easy and absolutely delicious!"
"My grandmother came across this recipe in your magazine when I was younger and made it for special occasions. She misplaced the recipe and never found it again. I was so happy to find it again on your website!"
"I found this same recipe in an old Pillsbury Bakeoff book from the 70's. Is that you guys? Wow!"