Sour Cream and Beef Turnovers Recipe
This is a family favorite. I always serve these turnovers with a large tossed green salad at family get-togethers. They freeze well, too.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 egg yolk
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar and salt. Cut in shortening until crumbly. Stir in sour cream and egg yolk just until moistened. Shape into a ball. Cover and refrigerate 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- 2. Preheat oven to 450°. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook beef, onion and mushrooms until meat is no longer pink. Remove from heat; drain. Stir in sour cream, salt, oregano and pepper.
- 3. On a floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-in. round cutter. Place a rounded teaspoon of filling on one side of each circle; fold dough over filling. Press edges with a fork to seal. Prick tops with a fork. Reroll scraps; repeat.
- 4. Place on greased baking sheets. Beat egg with water; brush over turnovers. Bake 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Yield: about 4-1/2 dozen.
1 turnover equals 61 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 74 mg sodium, 4 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC