- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 egg yolk
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons water
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar and salt. Cut in shortening until crumbly. Stir in sour cream and egg yolk just until moistened. Shape into a ball. Cover and refrigerate 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 450°. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook beef, onion and mushrooms until meat is no longer pink. Remove from heat; drain. Stir in sour cream, salt, oregano and pepper.
- On a floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-in. round cutter. Place a rounded teaspoon of filling on one side of each circle; fold dough over filling. Press edges with a fork to seal. Prick tops with a fork. Reroll scraps; repeat.
- Place on greased baking sheets. Beat egg with water; brush over turnovers. Bake 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Yield: about 4-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Sour Cream and Beef Turnovers in Country February/March 2008, p51
Reviews for Sour Cream and Beef Turnovers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Oct. 21, 2009
Reviewed Sep. 17, 2009
Reviewed Aug. 20, 2009
"sounds like something I need to try."