In Mesa, Arizona, Patricia Novak uses a can of vegetable soup to dress up her sloppy joes. "When our children were growing up, I served these quick-to-fix sandwiches for lunch or a fast dinner with salad and dessert," she says. "Even today, my husband asks for them."
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed vegetable soup, undiluted
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- In a large saucepan cook beef and onion over medium heat until beef
- is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the soup, ketchup, mustard, salt
- and pepper. Simmer, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes. Serve on buns.
- Yield: 6 sandwiches.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 284 calories, 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 37 mg cholesterol, 861 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 18 g protein.