Souper Bowl Bread Bowls Recipe
You'll score points when you spoon the halftime meal into these hearty bowls. The bread's spongy texture makes it the perfect container for the creamy full-flavored chowder...or a thick soup, stew or chili. -Darlene Alexander, Nekoosa, Wisconsin
- 1/2 cup water (70° to 80°)
- 1 cup warm milk (70° to 80°)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- VEGETABLE CHOWDER:
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3-1/2 cups frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4-1/2 cups milk
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 3/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In bread machine pan, place the first seven ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
- 2. When the cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into six portions; shape into balls. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Brush with egg white. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire racks.
- 3. To make bowl, cut the top fourth off of bread; carefully hollow out bottom of each, leaving a 1/4-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use).
- 4. For chowder, in a large saucepan, saute onion and celery in butter until tender. Add mixed vegetables. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually stir in milk until combined. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in bacon, bouillon, seasoned salt and pepper until bouillon is dissolved. Serve in bread bowls. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 727 calories, 26 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 75 mg cholesterol, 1,458 mg sodium, 102 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 23 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC