- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 small head cabbage, chopped
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 2/3 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a nonstick Dutch oven, cook beef and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the cabbage, water, rice, Worcestershire sauce, onion powder, basil, cayenne and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Stir in tomatoes and salt; heat through. Sprinkle with cheese if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Soup-Bowl Cabbage Rolls
"Very good. My husband doesn't generally like cooked cabbage and wouldn't eat cabbage rolls but he really liked this dish. Kind of a low carb type of goolosh."
"Easy enough to make. Doubled the recipe because, well, we like leftovers. Will do again, but will cut back the amount of rice, and maybe a little more meat. A little bland, added a small can of tomato sauce to give it more of a cabbage roll taste.Overall decent. Will have to tweak it some next time."
"I found this dish to be easy and flavorful - cutting up the cabbage was "hardest" part! I followed the recipe except I used ground turkey with two cloves of garlic, and accidentally added the salt at the same time as the other seasonings. I didn't find this dish to be bland at all (simple, sure - not too salty, not too spicy), and the leftovers tasted better to me than the first meal yesterday! Definitely a keeper!"
"As many have said, the soup is bland. I sauted an onion with the ground beef and used 3 cloves of garlic. I doubled the salt and pepper (black) and used beef broth instead of water. I only use brown rice, so I used that and simmered for 55 minutes instead of 30. I also added a tablespoon of tomato paste to the ground beef. . I don't think it tastes like cabbage rolls, but it was good. A lot easier also."
"This recipe is wonderful!!!! Since I love cabbage rolls this is a short version and just as good!I have shared this recipe with everyone in my family!!!!"
"my husband and I loved it but it needed a bit more flavor. I added garlic and 1/4 cup catsup to give it more tomato flavor."
"Very tasty w/o making cabbage rolls. I used ground turkey, brown rice, and cut recipe in half. I added a splash of lemon juice at the end. Hubby said recipe is a keeper."
"Really enjoyed this recipe. I added extra 1/2 tsp of salt but left the rest as the recipe is written so I can give my honest opinion. Next time i make it I will add more garlic and onion. Possibly use brown rice."
"This one is a keeper. I use brown rice, which needs to cook longer, and this is good for the cabbage, which really does need to cook longer than the recipe states. Still quick enough for a weeknight, though!"