"With all of its ingredients," grins Lynn Conlon of Provo, Utah, "this probably should be called 'Surprise Soup' instead! Hearty, unique and fun to serve, it works especially well for large groups. I've prepared if for as many as 38 people by making a few adjustments to the recipe. Even children like it."—Lynn Conlon, Provo, Utah
6-8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Frozen broccoli, carrots and/or cauliflower, thawed and chopped
- Frozen corn or peas, thawed
- Cubed cooked chicken, ham or sliced Johnsonville® Smoked Sausage
- Crumbled cooked bacon
- Chopped fresh mushrooms
- Minced fresh parsley
- Cooked pasta or rice
- Sour cream
- In a Dutch oven, combine the first six ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, arrange condiments in individual serving dishes. To serve,
- spoon desired condiments into soup bowl; top with hot soup. Yield:
- 6-8 servings.