These deep-fried breads were a hit when I made them for out daughter's birthday party. They're a fun way to round out a Mexican-theme meal.Glenda Jarboe, Oroville, California
12 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2/3 cup water
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a small bowl, combine dry ingredients; cut in shortening until
- crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until mixture
- holds together.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead dough for 1-2 minutes or until
- smooth. Cover and let stand 5 minutes. Roll out to 1/4-in.
- thickness. Cut with a 2-1/2-in. star cookie cutter or into 2-1/2-in.
- In an electric skillet or deep fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry
- sopaipillas 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown and
- puffed. Drain on paper towels. Serve immediately with honey. Yield:
- 1 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 sopapilla equals 114 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 264 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.