Sopaipilla Stars Recipe
These deep-fried breads were a hit when I made them for our daughter's birthday party. They're a fun way to round out a Mexican-themed meal. —Glenda Jarboe, Oroville, California
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2/3 cup water
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Confectioners' sugar and honey
- 1. In a small bowl, combine dry ingredients; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until mixture holds together.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, knead dough for 1-2 minutes or until smooth. Cover and let stand 5 minutes. Roll out to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a 2-1/2-in. star cookie cutter or into 2-1/2-in. triangles.
- 3. In an electric skillet or deep fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry sopaipillas 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown and puffed. Drain on paper towels. Dust with confectioners' sugar; serve immediately with honey. Yield: 1 dozen.
1 sopaipilla equals 114 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 264 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC