- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2/3 cup water
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Confectioners' sugar and honey
- In a small bowl, combine dry ingredients; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until mixture holds together.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead dough for 1-2 minutes or until smooth. Cover and let stand 5 minutes. Roll out to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a 2-1/2-in. star cookie cutter or into 2-1/2-in. triangles.
- In an electric skillet or deep fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry sopaipillas 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown and puffed. Drain on paper towels. Dust with confectioners' sugar; serve immediately with honey. Yield: 1 dozen.
Reviews for Sopaipilla Stars
Sort By :
"my local mexican restaurant used just tortillas they warmed and dipped in cinnamon and sugar then honey. Very good too."
"This is the same recipe but made using a cookie cutter.The kids will join in this one!Donna Davis Los Angeles, CA"
"I just love reading the Related Tips sections! I find so much useful information here and just as I'm getting ready to log off I run into something else that catches my interest and I just have to read all about it! Now, I'm off to try this Sopa recipe because it sounds like a winner!"