These deep-fried breads were a hit when I made them for our daughter's birthday party. They're a fun way to round out a Mexican-themed meal. —Glenda Jarboe, Oroville, California
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2/3 cup water
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Confectioners' sugar and honey
- In a small bowl, combine dry ingredients; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until mixture holds together.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead dough for 1-2 minutes or until smooth. Cover and let stand 5 minutes. Roll out to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a 2-1/2-in. star cookie cutter or into 2-1/2-in. triangles.
- In an electric skillet or deep fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry sopaipillas 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown and puffed. Drain on paper towels. Dust with confectioners' sugar; serve immediately with honey. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Sopaipillas Stars in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2003, p198
Reviews for Sopaipilla Stars
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review