- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2/3 cup water
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Confectioners' sugar and honey
- In a small bowl, combine dry ingredients; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until mixture holds together.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead dough for 1-2 minutes or until smooth. Cover and let stand 5 minutes. Roll out to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a 2-1/2-in. star cookie cutter or into 2-1/2-in. triangles.
- In an electric skillet or deep fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry sopaipillas 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown and puffed. Drain on paper towels. Dust with confectioners' sugar; serve immediately with honey. Yield: 1 dozen.
Reviews for Sopaipilla Stars
"my local mexican restaurant used just tortillas they warmed and dipped in cinnamon and sugar then honey. Very good too."
"This is the same recipe but made using a cookie cutter.The kids will join in this one!Donna Davis Los Angeles, CA"
"I just love reading the Related Tips sections! I find so much useful information here and just as I'm getting ready to log off I run into something else that catches my interest and I just have to read all about it! Now, I'm off to try this Sopa recipe because it sounds like a winner!"