Sopa de Tortilla Recipe
—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 serrano pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
- 6 corn tortillas (6 inches), halved and cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 2 dried pasilla chilies, stems removed, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 3/4 cup shredded cooked chicken
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh epazote or 1 teaspoon dried epazote
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Cubed avocado and lime wedges, optional
- 1. In a blender, combine tomatoes and serrano pepper. Cover and process until smooth; set aside. In a large skillet, heat 1/2 cup oil over medium heat. Add tortilla strips; cook and stir until golden brown and crisp.
- 2. Remove to paper towels; pat dry. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons oil in skillet. Add pasilla chilies; cook and stir for 1 minute or until lightly toasted. With a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain.
- 3. In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in remaining oil until tender. Add tomato mixture; cook and stir over medium heat for 10 minutes or until very thick. Add the broth, corn, chicken and epazote; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Stir in lime juice.
- 4. Ladle soup into bowls; top with tortilla strips. Sprinkle with pasilla chilies. Garnish with avocado and lime if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup (calculated without avocado): 354 calories, 24g fat (2g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 1133mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 10g protein.
Reviews for Sopa de Tortilla
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC