Sombrero Casserole Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 2 packages (8-1/2 ounces each) corn bread/muffin mix
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 2 eggs
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup picante sauce
- 1. In a skillet, cook beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain and set aside. In a bowl, combine corn bread mixes, corn and eggs; mix well. Spread half into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with the meat mixture, 3 cups of cheese and the picante sauce. Spread with remaining corn bread mixture; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
1 each: 643 calories, 34g fat (21g saturated fat), 197mg cholesterol, 1230mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 2g fiber), 36g protein.
Reviews for Sombrero Casserole
"fntcitylade....I have the recipe called Sombrero Bake. Is this it?Sombrero Bake6 Servings Prep: 10 min. Bake: 45 min.Ingredients2-1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese1 medium tomato, chopped1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted1/2 cup 2% milk1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauceBISCUIT TOPPING:3/4 cup biscuit/baking mix1/2 cup cornmeal2/3 cup 2% milk1 can (2.8 ounces) french-fried onions, divided1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheeseDirectionsIn a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, layer with chicken, chilies,cheese and tomato. In a small bowl, combine the soup, milk and hotpepper sauce. Pour over chicken mixture. Cover and bake at 375?for 20 minutes.In a small bowl, combine the biscuit mix, cornmeal, milk and 3/4 cuponions. Drop into eight mounds over casserole.Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes (topping will spread). Sprinkle withcheese and remaining onions. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheeseis melted. Yield: 6 servings."
"I made a dish called Sombrero Casserole from Taste of Home many times for neighbors, church and my family. Haven't had it in a while and can't find my book. It was turned to this page and highlighted. As time passed I forgot about it and today started my search where it should have been. Its lost or gone. The above Casserole is not what I made in the past, no corn was in it and you made your own cornbread topping. What are the chances it has been updated thru time? The one I made was called Sombrero Bake. Any chances someone might have this recipe?"
"We skipped the green peppers and did not bake it with the picante sauce. It was really delicious and filling. We will be making this again."
"I have been making this receipe for a couple of years now. My family loves all the flavors combined. You can dress it up with other mexican favorites too! I do cut back on the cheese to help reduce some fat content."