Corn bread and cream-style corn add a touch of sweetness to this hearty casserole. I sometimes sprinkle crushed tortilla chips on top before baking.— Kelley Enyeart, Marceline, Missouri
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 2 packages (8-1/2 ounces each) corn bread/muffin mix
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 2 eggs
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup picante sauce
- In a skillet, cook beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain and set aside. In a bowl, combine corn bread mixes, corn and eggs; mix well. Spread half into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with the meat mixture, 3 cups of cheese and the picante sauce. Spread with remaining corn bread mixture; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Sombrero Casserole in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook 1999, p290
Reviews for Sombrero Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review