Want to do something special for a good friend or neighbor? Bake them a pan of these melt-in-your-mouth rolls!
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1 teaspoon plus 2/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 eggs
- 7 to 7-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar in warm water; let stand for 5 minutes. In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening, salt and remaining sugar until light and fluffy. Add boiling water; cool to 110°-115°. Add eggs and yeast mixture; beat until smooth. Stir in enough flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into thirds. Divide each portion into nine pieces; shape into balls. Place in three greased 9-in. round baking pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pans on wire racks. Yield: 27 rolls.
Originally published as Soft Yeast Pan Rolls in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2000, p15
Reviews for Soft Yeast Pan Rolls
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Nov. 28, 2013
"I love this recipe. I make it for holidays w/my family."
Reviewed May. 23, 2010
"I have made these several times and have found a family favorite.Do everything as the recipie calls for.Tip: adhere to recommended temperatures and be sure the yeast mixture rises before adding it to the dough. If the yeast doesn't rise then the bread won't either."
Reviewed Jun. 1, 2009
"I have made these so many times, each with great results. They are always requested for family dinners."