Soft White Bread
I feed 70 people at church every Wednesday. A good oven-fresh bread like this helps fill folks up and stretches the main dish.
48 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 25 min.
- 11 to 11-1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1/3 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 3 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- In a bowl, combine 5 cups flour, sugar, dry milk powder, yeast and
- salt. In a saucepan, heat water and butter to 120°-130°
- (butter does not need to melt). Add to flour mixture. Beat on low
- speed until moistened; beat on medium for 3 minutes. Add enough
- remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface;
- knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a
- greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a
- warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down. Divide
- into thirds; shape into loaves. Place in a greased 8-in. x 4-in.
- loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes. Bake
- at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from
- pans to wire racks. Yield: 3 loaves.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 130 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 172 mg sodium,