I love to grill these sandwiches for quick summer meals or impromptu get-togethers around the pool. They're a snap to prepare, and no one ever guesses that they're low fat. —Joan Hallford of North Richland Hills, Texas
- 1 cup fat-free refried beans
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 8 flour tortillas (6 inches), warmed
- 1 cup chopped lettuce
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup salsa
- In a large bowl, combine the beans, 2 tablespoons green chilies, onion and salt. Crumble the beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into eight 5-in. patties. Top each patty with 2 tablespoons cheddar cheese; fold in half and press edges to seal, forming a half moon.
- Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill burgers, uncovered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 7-9 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear. Serve on tortillas with lettuce, tomato, salsa and remaining chilies. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Soft Taco Burgers in Light & Tasty August/September 2002, p31
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Soft Taco Burgers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review