Traveling to a holiday party or cookie exchange, why not take along a plateful of these soft cutouts? "When these cookies are in the oven, the aroma brings my children running!" says Phyllis Kaiser of Ovid, New York. "They freeze well, so you can make them ahead, and you can cut them into any shape for different occasions."
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Colored sugar or sprinkles, optional
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg; add to the creamed mixture alternately with sour cream. Divide dough in half.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with floured 2-1/2-in. cookie cutters. Using a floured spatula, place shapes 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Sprinkle with colored sugar or sprinkles if desired.
- Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 3-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Sour Cream Sugar Cookies in Country Woman November/December 2000, p21
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Soft Sugar Cookies with Sour Cream
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review