Soft Rum Caramels Recipe
I adapted a family recipe to come up with these melt-in-your-mouth caramels. My husband and daughter eagerly volunteer to eat any scraps from the pan! —Kelly-Ann Gibbons, Prince George, British Columbia
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min. YIELD:64 servings
- 1 teaspoon plus 1/4 cup butter, softened, divided
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 to 2 teaspoons rum extract
- 1. Line an 8-in. square pan with foil and grease the foil with 1 teaspoon butter; set aside. In a small bowl, cream remaining butter until light and fluffy. Beat in cream until smooth; set aside.
- 2. In a heavy saucepan, combine the brown sugar, corn syrup, sugar and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook until a candy thermometer reads 244° (firm-ball stage). Gradually add cream mixture. Continue cooking until a candy thermometer reads 242°. Remove from the heat; stir in extract.
- 3. Pour into prepared pan (do not scrape sides of saucepan). Cool completely. Invert pan onto cutting board; remove foil. Cut candy into squares. Wrap individually in cellophane, waxed paper or foil; twist ends. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Yield: 1-1/2 pounds.
1 serving (1 each) equals 50 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, 26 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, trace protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC