Soft Rum Caramels Recipe
- 1 teaspoon plus 1/4 cup butter, softened, divided
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 to 2 teaspoons rum extract
- Line an 8-in. square pan with foil and grease the foil with 1 teaspoon butter; set aside. In a small bowl, cream remaining butter until light and fluffy. Beat in cream until smooth; set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the brown sugar, corn syrup, sugar and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook until a candy thermometer reads 244° (firm-ball stage). Gradually add cream mixture. Continue cooking until a candy thermometer reads 242°. Remove from the heat; stir in extract.
- Pour into prepared pan (do not scrape sides of saucepan). Cool completely. Invert pan onto cutting board; remove foil. Cut candy into squares. Wrap individually in cellophane, waxed paper or foil; twist ends. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Yield: 1-1/2 pounds.
Reviews for Soft Rum Caramels(1)
Sort By :
This is not a candy recipe to make in more than one batch. Also, for lower altitudes, cook to a few degrees above the recommended 242 as the caramels will still be VERY soft. Melt-out-of-the-wax-paper-wrappings-soft. **BUT** when you follow the directions and cook only one batch at a time, these caramels are out-of-this-world good.