Soft Refrigerator Rolls
I taught my teenage son how to make these soft rolls for a 4-H project. Everyone was surprised when this big brawny fellow, who shows Brahman cattle, was named Grand Champion!
24 ServingsPrep: 2min. + rising Bake: 15 min.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup shortening
- In a bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, salt and 2
- cups flour. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add egg and
- shortening; mix well. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft
- dough (do not knead). Place in a greased bowl, turning once to
- grease top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 24
- pieces. Shape each into a ball. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking
- sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubles, about 2
- hours. Bake at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 152 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 102 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.