Soft Refrigerator Rolls Recipe
I taught my teenage son how to make these soft rolls for a 4-H project. Everyone was surprised when this big brawny fellow, who shows Brahman cattle, was named Grand Champion!
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup shortening
- In a bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, salt and 2 cups flour. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add egg and shortening; mix well. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (do not knead). Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 24 pieces. Shape each into a ball. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubles, about 2 hours. Bake at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Refrigerator Rolls in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2003, p229
Reviews for Soft Refrigerator Rolls(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review