Soft Pumpkin Yeast Bread Recipe
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 cup warm evaporated milk (70° to 80°)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 cups bread flour
- 2 to 3 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup ground walnuts
- 2-1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1. In a bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select basic bread setting. Choose crust color and loaf size if available.
- 2. Bake according to bread machine directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed). Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
1 slice: 142 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 105mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Soft Pumpkin Yeast Bread
"I think this bread is an acquired taste. It is delicious in it's own way. And I did as suggested in other reviews and made the remaining into french toast, which was very good."
"Made this last night for my family. Not only was it delicious, but the kitchen smelled so good as it baked!! The kids were *dying* to give it a try!! We'll have the leftovers toasted for breakfast this morning. Will definitely make again."
"Check out Kelly Kirby's Buttercup Yeast bread Recipe here at TOH--that should work for azilu to make by hand."
"fantastic for french toast"
"I have a recipe for soft yeast banana bread that is similar in ingredients -- except obviously banana instead of pumpkin. Here are the directions for that bread and perhaps it would work for you.
1. Combine yeast with 1 cup of flour.
2. Heat milk, butter, sugar, and salt until warm; add to dry ingredients; add eggs and mashed bananas. Beat 3 minutes at high speed.
3. By hand, add flour to make moderately stiff dough. Knead 5 minutes.
4. Place in a greased bowl and let rise until double (1 hour).
5. Punch down; let rest 10 minutes.
6. Shape into a round loaf. Place on greased baking sheet. Make vertical cuts 1/8-inch deep around loaf at 3/4-inch intervals.
7. Let rise until double (30-45 minutes).
8. Bake at 400 for 30 minutes.
I would add the pumpkin pie spice and nuts in the second step. Also I would think you could bake it in a greased loaf pan. I would not use such a high temperature. I would bake it for about 35 minutes at 350 degrees, covering it with foil after the first 20 minutes to keep the crust from getting too brown.
Hope this helps or someone more knowledgeable will respond.
"HOW DO I MAKE THIS WITHOUT A bread MACHINE?"