Our kids enjoy every step of making soft homemade pretzels. Each one has a chance to add ingredients, mix and shape the dough, brush on the egg and sprinkle on salt.—Lori Hoogland, Catawba, Wisconsin
18-20 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- Coarse salt
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add the sugar, salt and
- enough flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about
- 6-8 minutes. Pinch off about 2 tablespoons of dough for each
- pretzel. Shape into traditional pretzel twists or letters or animals
- as desired. Place on greased baking sheets.
- Brush with egg; sprinkle with salt. Bake at 425° for 15 minutes
- or until golden brown. Cool on wire rack. Yield: 18-20 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 98 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 122 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.