Our kids enjoy every step of making soft homemade pretzels. Each one has a chance to add ingredients, mix and shape the dough, brush on the egg and sprinkle on salt.—Lori Hoogland, Catawba, Wisconsin
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- Coarse salt
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add the sugar, salt and enough flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Pinch off about 2 tablespoons of dough for each pretzel. Shape into traditional pretzel twists or letters or animals as desired. Place on greased baking sheets.
- Brush with egg; sprinkle with salt. Bake at 425° for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire rack. Yield: 18-20 servings.
Originally published as Soft Pretzels in Taste of Home April/May 1995, p14
Reviews for Soft Pretzels
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review