Orange juice and peel add a slight citrus twist to ordinary molasses cookies. I've also stirred in some chopped nuts, raisins, prunes and apricots.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons orange juice
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, baking soda and spices. Combine the molasses, orange juice and peel. Add dry ingredients to the creamed mixture alternately with the molasses mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until edges are set. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For glaze, combine confectioners' sugar and enough orange juice to achieve desired consistency. Spread over cooled cookies. Yield: 5 dozen.
Originally published as Soft Orange Molasses Drops in Best of Country Cookies 1999, p29
Reviews for Soft Orange Molasses Drops
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Dec. 15, 2009
"The cookies are very good. I foound the dough to be sticky when putting in on the cookie sheets and ould recomend chilling it for 20 - 30 min to make it easier scooping. Really good cookies"