Soft Orange Custard Recipe
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1. In a small bowl, beat butter and sugar on medium speed for 1 minute. Add the eggs, flour and salt. Beat for about 2 minutes or until thickened. Add the orange juice, orange peel and lemon juice. Stir in milk.
- 2. Pour into five 6-oz. ramekins or custard cups. Place ramekins in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Add 1 in. of boiling water to pan.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Remove ramekins from water bath. Serve warm or chilled. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 5 servings.
1/2 cup: 208 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 215mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (30g sugars, trace fiber), 5g protein Diabetic Exchanges:2 starch, 1 fat
Reviews for Soft Orange Custard
"I used 1/4 cup pureed mango, 1/2 t of vanilla powder,1/2C sugar, 2% milk, and otherwise followed it. It has a great flavor and color. FYI, one mango will give you about 3/4C puree, so use the rest in a smoothie!:)"
"I had to change the recipe for gluten free and diabetic, so I replaced the flour with sweet rice flour and also used Splenda, and I liked the recipe. I love custard and I thought this was wonderful and I will make it again. I should make a regular recipe so that I can compare it to my revision."
"can this be made in another dish rather than ramekins which I do not have?"
"Mmmmmm...This was great! I loved the citrusy taste, and I don't usally enjoy that. Very good. I will definity make it again."
"this is good not only alone but also folded it in my fruit salad. Yummy"
"Kaffaroni ~ you can absolutely use 1% milk eith no problem. You don't even need to cut down on the butter. The tiny bit of added fat in the milk won't affect the recipe at all. Happy baking!"
"Kaffaroni ~ you can use 1% milk perfectly with no problem. You don't even need to cut down on the butter. The tiny bit of added fat in the milk won't affect the recipe at all. Happy baking!"
"Just want to ask a question. I don't want to buy fat-free milk just for this recipe, always buy 1% milk. Can I use that instead, maybe cut down on the butter a bit to compensate? Sounds delicious; I'm sure I'll like it!"
"my family went nuts over this. Husband dosent like orange but at two of these"
"Tried this for my Dad, who loves orange. However while it did have good flavour, the orange peel ruined the texture for me."
"This recipe is excellent...with a couple adjustments. I found that 1 tablespoon of butter is enough, and I cut down the sugar to 1/4 cup and then the sweetness was perfect for me. The orange flavor is wonderful in this custard and the recipe is a keeper!"
"very refreshing, a great burst of flavor"