Soft Onion Breadsticks Recipe
Soft Onion Breadsticks from filed editor Maryellen Hays of Wolcottville, Indiana are golden and chewy.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 20 min. YIELD:32 servings
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1. In a small skillet, saute onion in oil until tender; cool. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, butter, 1 egg, sugar, salt, and 1 cup flour. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in onion and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Let stand for 10 minutes. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 32 pieces. Shape each piece into an 8-in. rope. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise for 15 minutes.
- 4. Beat cold water and remaining egg; brush over breadsticks. Sprinkle half with sesame seeds and half with poppy seeds. Bake at 350° for 16-22 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 breadstick equals 81 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 132 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC