Soft Oat Rolls Recipe
An old friend served these rolls when my family went to her house for Sunday dinner several years ago. I made sure I had a copy of the recipe before leaving.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 15 min. YIELD:18 servings
- 1-1/4 cups boiling water
- 2/3 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a large bowl, pour boiling water over cereal. Add the butter and salt. Let stand until mixture cools to 110°-115°, stirring occasionally. Add the sugar, egg, yeast and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- 3. Roll to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in biscuit cutter. Place 2 in. apart on lightly greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Serve warm. Yield: about 1-1/2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 149 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 96 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC