Soft Molasses Cutout Cookies Recipe
I received this recipe years ago, when my husband and I managed a retirement home. We'd always put out homemade cookies for morning and afternoon coffee, and these were the first to disappear.
- 1 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup dark molasses
- 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
- Frosting or confectioners' sugar, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in molasses. Combine the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with water, beating well after each addition. Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours or until easy to handle.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with 2-1/2-in. cookie cutters dipped in flour. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until edges are firm. Remove to wire racks to cool. Frost or dust with confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: about 6-1/2 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 156 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 150 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
Reviews for Soft Molasses Cutout Cookies
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC