- 1 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup dark molasses
- 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
- Frosting or confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in molasses. Combine the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with water, beating well after each addition. Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with 2-1/2-in. cookie cutters dipped in flour. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until edges are firm. Remove to wire racks to cool. Frost or dust with confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: about 6-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Soft Molasses Cutout Cookies
Sort By :
"Chilled dough for 6 hours. Dough came out of fridge soft and gooey. Added LOTS of flour and was able to roll it out, but even with lots of flour on the board, the dough stuck as I tried to lift it with a metal spatula. The cookies tasted good, but looked awful. Was not able to serve them to guests. Very disappointed."
"This is a great recipe. I didnt feel like rolling and doing cutouts, so I just spooned the batter by tablespoon fulls onto the greased cookie sheet and baked them for 14 minutes. Turned out great!!"