Although my heritage is strictly Dutch, my family loves Italian food. These seasoned breadsticks are a great accompaniment to lasagna or pizza.
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) quick-rise yeast
- 2 to 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup warm water (120° to 130°)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Italian seasoning or grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a food processor, combine the sugar, 3/4 teaspoon salt, yeast and 2 cups flour. Cover and process for 5-10 seconds. While processing, gradually add warm water and oil in a steady stream. Process for 1 minute or until smooth and elastic. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed.
- Turn onto a floured surface. Roll into a 15-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Cut into 12 strips. Fold each strip in half lengthwise; twist each strip several times. Pinch ends to seal. Place 2 in. apart on a greased baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, combine the butter, garlic powder, paprika and remaining salt. Brush some over dough. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning or Parmesan cheese if desired. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 25 minutes.
- Bake at 425° for 6-8 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with remaining butter mixture. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Soft Italian Bread Twists in Best of Country Breads 2000, p96
Reviews for Soft Italian Bread Twists
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 29, 2011
"This is the first time I have ever used yeast and the twists were perfectly delicious! Great recipe!~ Theresa"