Although my heritage is strictly Dutch, my family loves Italian food. These seasoned breadsticks are a great accompaniment to lasagna or pizza.
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) quick-rise yeast
- 2 to 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup warm water (120° to 130°)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Italian seasoning or grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a food processor, combine the sugar, 3/4 teaspoon salt, yeast and 2 cups flour. Cover and process for 5-10 seconds. While processing, gradually add warm water and oil in a steady stream. Process for 1 minute or until smooth and elastic. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed.
- Turn onto a floured surface. Roll into a 15-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Cut into 12 strips. Fold each strip in half lengthwise; twist each strip several times. Pinch ends to seal. Place 2 in. apart on a greased baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, combine the butter, garlic powder, paprika and remaining salt. Brush some over dough. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning or Parmesan cheese if desired. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 25 minutes.
- Bake at 425° for 6-8 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with remaining butter mixture. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Soft Italian Bread Twists in Best of Country Breads 2000, p96
Reviews for Soft Italian Bread Twists
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jun. 29, 2011
"This is the first time I have ever used yeast and the twists were perfectly delicious! Great recipe!~ Theresa"