Soft Ginger Puffs
These spice cookies loaded with raisins and walnuts really do appeal to all generations - I found the recipe in a 1901 South Dakota cookbook! Sour cream adds a wonderful, unusual flair.
48 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground allspice, cinnamon and nutmeg
- 1-1/2 cups raisins
- 1-1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add
- eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in
- molasses and sour cream. Combine the flour, ginger, baking soda,
- allspice, cinnamon and nutmeg; gradually add to the creamed mixture
- and mix well. Stir in raisins and walnuts.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 1 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake
- at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until the edges begin to brown.
- Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 8 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 133 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 55 mg sodium,