- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground allspice, cinnamon and nutmeg
- 1-1/2 cups raisins
- 1-1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in molasses and sour cream. Combine the flour, ginger, baking soda, allspice, cinnamon and nutmeg; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in raisins and walnuts.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 1 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until the edges begin to brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 8 dozen.
Reviews for Soft Ginger Puffs
"Absolutely delicious! This recipe is a keeper. Family, friends and neighbours absolutely loved them."
"Very good flavor! Used dried "fruitcake" fruit blend from King Arthur Flour. Recipe came together well. With batter hardly spreading got the 8+ dozen baked in much less time than I expected to; also used my convection oven setting (325 degrees vs 350) and baking time was 10.5 minutes. LOVE the flavor and texture of these cookies; so did my customers. Will be trying again with prunes later today. NOTE: I prefer chewy cookies, so if you prefer the crunchy variety, this recipe may not suit your taste."
"Very easy - and good. I modified the recipe a bit by adding dried cranberries and chopped dates with almonds instead of the raisins and walnuts... YUM!"