- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons water (70° to 80°)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 quarts water
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- Coarse salt
- In bread machine pan, place the first four ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons water or flour if needed).
- When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough into eight balls. Roll each into a 20-in. rope; form into pretzel shape.
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a large saucepan, bring water and baking soda to a boil. Drop pretzels into boiling water, two at a time; boil for 10-15 seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels.
- Place pretzels on greased baking sheets. Bake until golden brown, 8-10 minutes. Spritz or lightly brush with water. Sprinkle with salt. Yield: 8 pretzels.
Reviews for Soft Giant Pretzels
"So I don't have a bread maker. No big deal. Mix first four ingredients, knead for 5 minutes and let rise in covered bowl for an hour. It is SO WORTH IT!"
"Perfect! Delicious and easy to get the hang of. Better than having to drive all the way to a mall for a pretzel."
"I don't use a bread machine to make the dough, just my Kitchen-Aid mixer, and these turn out great!"
"I tried this recipe for the first time two days ago and my family has already asked me to make it again."