"My husband, friends and family love these soft, chewy pretzels," reports Sherry Peterson of Fort Collins, Colorado. "Let your machine mix the dough, then all you have to do is shape and bake these fun snacks."
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons water (70° to 80°)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 quarts water
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- Coarse salt
- In bread machine pan, place the first four ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons water or flour if needed).
- When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough into eight balls. Roll each into a 20-in. rope; form into pretzel shape.
- In a large saucepan, bring water and baking soda to a boil. Drop pretzels into boiling water, two at a time; boil for 10-15 seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels.
- Place pretzels on greased baking sheets. Bake at 425° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Spritz or lightly brush with water. Sprinkle with salt. Yield: 8 pretzels.
Originally published as Soft Giant Pretzels in Taste of Home August/September 2001, p18
Reviews for Soft Giant Pretzels
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review