Soft Garlic Breadsticks Recipe
Charles Smith relies of a bread machine to mix the dough for these buttery golden breadsticks that are mildly seasoned with garlic and basil. "I like to use this dough when making pizza, too," says the Baltic, Connecticut reader. "It makes two 12-inch crusts."
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons water (70° to 80°)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon minced fresh basil or 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 3 cups bread flour
- 2 teaspoons Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1. In bread machine pan, place the first nine ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
- 2. When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into 20 portions. Shape each into a ball; roll each into a 9-in. rope. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 40 minutes or until doubled.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Brush warm breadsticks with butter. Yield: 20 breadsticks.
One breadstick equals 88 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 196 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC