VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup plus 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1/4 cup cream cheese
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, 1/2 cup sugar, powdered milk, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter and cream cheese until crumbly. Add milk and, if desired, walnuts; stir until blended. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls. Place remaining sugar in a shallow bowl; roll cookies in sugar.
- Place cookies 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Flatten slightly with bottom of a glass dipped in sugar. Bake 13-15 minutes or until edges are light brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 2 dozen.
Originally published as Soft Cornmeal Cookies in Cookies & Candies Bookazine 2015, p42