- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a microwave or heavy saucepan, melt butter and chocolate; stir until smooth. In a bowl, beat sugars and egg; add buttermilk and peppermint extract. Beat in chocolate mixture.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to sugar mixture. Let stand for 15 minutes or until dough becomes firmer.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 3 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until edges are firm. Cool for 2 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Reviews forSoft Chocolate Mint Cookies
"My husband loves these cookies and they are easy to make."
"These cookies have a brownie-like texture. I didn't have buttermilk so I substituted about 1 tsp. lemon juice + 1/4 c. skim milk (do not stir) and let it sit for 5-7 minutes. I put about 9-12 cookies on a greased cookie sheet at a time and let them bake for 9 minutes. Any longer and they would have been overcooked, any shorter and they would have been too gooey. These cookies taste like a brownie when you first bite into them, and then you get the delicious peppermint flavor. My family was begging me to bake another batch!"