Soft Chewy Caramels Recipe
One of my first experiences with cooking was helping my mother make these caramels. We'd make up to 12 batches each year. Today, I do at least 95 percent of the cooking at home, but my wife does much of the baking. —Robert Sprenkle, Hurst, Texas
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 cup butter, divided
- 2-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup dark corn syrup
- 1. Line a 15x10x1-in. pan with foil; grease the foil with 1 tablespoon butter. In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, melt remaining butter. Add the brown sugar, milk and corn syrup. Cook and stir until candy thermometer reads 250° (hard-ball stage).
- 2. Pour into prepared pan (do not scrape saucepan). Cool completely before cutting. Yield: about 2-1/2 pounds.
1 serving (1 each) equals 58 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, 32 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, trace protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC