Soft Chewy Caramels
One of my first experiences with cooking was helping my mother make these caramels for Christmas. We'd make up to 12 batches each year. Today do at least 95 percent of the cooking at home, but my wife does much of the baking.Robert Sprenkle, Hurst, Texas
100 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Cook: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 cup butter, divided
- 2-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup dark corn syrup
- Line a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. pan with foil; grease the foil with 1
- tablespoon butter. In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, melt
- remaining butter. Add the brown sugar, milk and corn syrup. Cook and
- stir until candy thermometer reads 250° (hard-ball stage).
- Pour into prepared pan (do not scrape saucepan). Cool completely
- before cutting. Yield: about 2-1/2 pounds.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 58 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, 32 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, trace protein.