Soft Chewy Caramels
One of my first experiences with cooking was helping my mother make these caramels. We'd make up to 12 batches each year. Today, I do at least 95 percent of the cooking at home, but my wife does much of the baking. —Robert Sprenkle, Hurst, Texas
100 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Cook: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 cup butter, divided
- 2-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup dark corn syrup
- Line a 15x10x1-in. pan with foil; grease the foil with 1 tablespoon
- butter. In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, melt remaining butter.
- Add the brown sugar, milk and corn syrup. Cook and stir until candy
- thermometer reads 250° (hard-ball stage).
- Pour into prepared pan (do not scrape saucepan). Cool completely
- before cutting. Yield: about 2-1/2 pounds.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 58 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, 32 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, trace protein.