- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition (batter will be moist).
- Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar. Drop dough by tablespoonfuls onto greased baking sheets. Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar.
- Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Remove to wire racks. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Soft Buttermilk Sugar Cookies
Sort By :
Not a bad recipe, buttermilk added a tang. However, need a ton of sugar/cinnamon. Instead I used a burned butter frosting, giving it a nutty flavor. Would not make this cookie without some kind of frosting to give the cookies a needed "zip".
easy and super moist
These cookies were easy to make and very tasty. We omitted the ground cinnamon sugar but drizzled icing on top after they were baked. They were chewy and soft. Very good!