Soft Buttermilk Sugar Cookies Recipe
Gatherings are very important to my family, so we have lots of recipes that are favorites. My grandma introduced these cookies into the family a long time ago. The memory of her and these cookies go together!
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 10 min./batch YIELD:33 servings
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition (batter will be moist).
- 2. Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar. Drop dough by tablespoonfuls onto greased baking sheets. Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar.
- 3. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Remove to wire racks. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen.
1 cookie equals 90 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 123 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1 starch.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC