Soft Buttermilk Sugar Cookies Recipe
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition (batter will be moist).
- 2. Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar. Drop dough by tablespoonfuls onto greased baking sheets. Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar.
- 3. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Remove to wire racks. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen.
1 each: 90 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 123mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.
Reviews for Soft Buttermilk Sugar Cookies
"Not a bad recipe, buttermilk added a tang. However, need a ton of sugar/cinnamon. Instead I used a burned butter frosting, giving it a nutty flavor. Would not make this cookie without some kind of frosting to give the cookies a needed "zip"."
"easy and super moist"
"These cookies were easy to make and very tasty. We omitted the ground cinnamon sugar but drizzled icing on top after they were baked. They were chewy and soft. Very good!"
"I made this recipe and took the cookies to work. Everyone liked them as much as I do. I will definitely make them again."
"I have been trying new recipes recently due to my husband's diagnosis of diabetes. This recipe was enjoyed by the entire family and is one I will use again. We especially liked the unusual light, soft texture."
"These cookies are very good. I substituted Splenda for the sugar, but this recipe makes so many cookies that sugar shouldn't be an issue unless you eat tons of the cookies at once or you carbs are not controlled."
"Diabetic? With all that sugar?"
"these are great!"